Having just turned 50, I feel I must be doing something right in the quest to keeping fit, healthy and toned.
My weight has only fluctuated 1-2 kilos since I was 18, I wear the same size clothes that I wore at 18 and I definitely feel stronger and more toned since I turned 40 and began my Pilates journey….plus I have never been on a diet, in my life!
Here’s some tips on what I do:
- I believe in keeping everything simple and easy. This includes my diet and exercise.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate and flush the system. I drink 2 -3 litres of tap or bottled water every day.
- Eat lots and lots of fresh vegetables. I eat mainly vegetables and only a little fruit as it’s quite high in sugar.
- No added sugars or salts. Except a sprinkle of Himalayan salt in my homemade salad dressing.
- I do like a couple of pieces of 90% dark chocolate as a treat.
- Limit dairy and wheat. 2 slices of rye bread most days, no pasta only brown rice, a dash of milk in my tea and coffee or I love soy lattes (limit 1-2 a week).
- Have a small bit of protein with most meals; salmon, tuna, chicken, eggs, steak once a week.
- Always eat breakfast; fresh green juice, nut and seed (no fruit) natural muesli with rice milk, natural unsweetened yoghurt and berries or rye toast with vegemite and boiled eggs or tomatoes. Porridge in winter.
- Have acupuncture regularly for my health and well being and have been doing this for years. My favourite place is the ‘The Acupuncture Collective’ in Bondi Junction. Open all day Wednesday and Saturday, walk in off the street and it’s $25 for an hour of R&R.
- Meditate. 2 – 3 minutes in the morning as a refreshing way to start my day. Quietly sitting breathing in and out.
- Exercise. A bit most days and I like to vary it; Pilates on the equipment or mat, yoga, stretches, 8 minute Tabata workout combining Pilates, boxing, running or skipping on the spot, soft sand runs at Coogee, a walk for fresh air and I love my Tango lesson once a week.
I also believe it’s important to take time out for you!
Till next time. Lizx